With “Fast Five” currently tearing up the box office and the franchise grossing over one billion dollars, one can credit this to the backbone of the franchise, its cars. There have been many fast cars modified for racing in these movies from the Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T 420A driven by Paul Walker in the opening of the series to the 2011 Dodge Challenger driven by Vin Diesel in the end of the “Fast Five”. From all those cars, these are CarLocate’s top five cars from the Fast and the Furious franchise.
5. 1967 Ford Mustang: Seen in “Tokyo Drift”, during the down mountain race between Sean and DK, this old fashion American muscle car came with a foreign twist as it was sporting a straight-six engine from a 2001 Nissan Skyline RB26.
4. 2011 Dodge Charger: In “Fast Five”, two modified Chargers pulled a massive vault down the streets of Rio de Janeiro. Is this possible? Probably not, but this car’s 5.7L Hemi V8 is pushing out 370 hp at 5250 rpm which makes this the car to try it with.
3. Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R: Paul Walker drives this car at the beginning of “Fast and Furious 4” in a qualifying race to see who gets to work for the crime lord, Braga. Walker additionally races an older Skyline model in “2Fast 2Furious”, and a Skyline engine is used in the ‘67 Mustang in “Tokyo Drift” putting the Skyline’s fingerprints all over the franchise. The R34 GT-R is nicknamed “Godzilla”, for its racing dominance and origin of its manufacturer, putting out 328hp at 6,400rpm.
2. Toyota Supra Mark IV: First seen a scrapped hulk in the beginning of “The Fast and the Furious”, it is rebuilt and modified to its full glory. The most defining scene for this car is its race vs. Vin Diesel’s 1970 Charger in which it runs a quarter mile to beat out a train at a crossing. When purchased stock, the turbocharged version of the Supra put out 320hp at 5600 rpms with a quarter mile time of 13.3 seconds.
1. 1970 Dodge Charger: This monster of a car was once the car of Dom Torretto’s (Diesel) father and was passed down after his death. Said to have clocked a 9 second quarter mile in “The Fast and the Furious”, this car is seen in the first, fourth, and fifth movies. While many of these were used in the film, one of the actual cars possessed a Supercharged Chrysler 426 Hemi V-8 which allowed it get 425 hp at 5000 rpms, giving it plenty of muscle to give the Supra a run for its money.
While there are many classics and modern-day cars yet to be featured in this series, it will definitely be interesting to see what might be hitting the silver screen next!
Check out the Fastest Cars under $30,000