April is officially Car Care Month and after the long months of winter it’s time to prepare your car for the spring and summer months ahead. We here at CarLocate have put together a list of just a few of the maintenance checks you’ll want to look into.
- Probably one of the most important features of your car is its tires – improperly maintained tires may make driving very dangerous. Check the tread on your tires, if you notice any excessive edge wear, center wear or shoulder wear it may be time for new tires. You’ll also want to make sure and check your tire pressure. Improper tire pressure can lead to premature wear and a decrease in fuel mileage.
- Check your headlamps, tail lamps, turn signals, and hazard lights. Properly functioning headlamps and tail lamps play an important role in safe driving, especially at nighttime, or in rainy or foggy weather. Ensure all lights are properly working and are in proper alignment.
- Check all fluid levels and top them off if necessary. Winter driving conditions typically require your car to work harder and therefore deplete fuel levels more quickly. Dirty or low fluid levels may affect the performance of a vehicle and can lead to breakdowns if not properly monitored and filled.
- Wiper blades take quite a beating during the winter months; it is necessary to inspect them and check to make sure they are working properly. Properly functioning wiper blades will increase visibility in all conditions – especially those spring showers and summer storms.
- Clean your vehicles underbody. During those winter months the buildup of salt and dirt under your vehicle can start to eat away at the metal structure of your vehicle. Make sure to thoroughly scrub and rinse all of that corrosive salt away.
- Last, but most certainly not least are your vehicles brakes. They also take on a bigger role during the winter months and should be checked to ensure they are working properly. It’s vital to replace pads or shoes before drums or rotors become damaged. Check pads, shoes, drums, rotors, calipers, fittings, brake hardware, and parking brake to avoid potential problems.
If for some reason your vehicle didn’t survive the winter you can shop for a new or used one here. We have an extensive list of new and used cars from many dealers in your area – check it out!