If you live in a cold climate, you will probably remember to 'winterize' your car by putting on winter tires, adding antifreeze, etc. Your car has special summer needs too. Here are a few things to check before leaving on a driving holiday:
- Check all your fluid levels before leaving.
- Good spark plugs and a clean air filter add up to better gas mileage.
- Check your tires for wear and alignment. Make certain they have equal pressure. These little steps will help you stop quickly without sliding in emergency situations. They will also give you better gas mileage.
- Get your brakes checked. The time spent getting them inspected may save your life later!
- Check your cooling system. Make certain your radiator isn't clogged, and all the hoses and belts in your engine are working properly.
- Be prepared for trouble. Make certain you have a good spare tire, tire changing tools, an extra bottle of water for your radiator, and a flashlight.
- After a rest stop and at the beginning of each travel day, always walk around your vehicle and check for anything unusual before you resume your trip.